When a person passes away they not only leave behind significant relationships, they leave behind their estate. A person’s estate includes their total assets, debts, and other expenses, all of which need to be handled properly after the deceased’s death. Probate most often refers to the process in which a deceased person’s estate is distributed. The complexity and length of the probate varies widely depending on factors such as whether the deceased left a valid last will and testament, or whether a will is being contested.
Dealing with the death of a loved one in and of itself. During such a difficult season, you can find consolation in the help and guidance of a skilled probate and estate administration attorney. You should want to ensure that the deceased’s assets and property are distributed and transferred in accordance with state law and in accordance with any estate planning documents that were left behind by the deceased.
If you have lost a parent, a spouse, another family member or a friend and have been designated the administrator or executor of the estate, you will likely have many questions and concerns about how to carry out your responsibilities. If you are a beneficiary of a deceased’s loved one’s estate, you may also have many questions and concerns. We can help you address them.
At the Law Office of Rodney Davis, LLC, we assist administrators, executors, and beneficiaries with all aspects of the probate process, including:
- Locating and securing both probate assets and non-probate asset
- Validation of wills and resolving will contests
- Obtaining court approval of a named personal representative or executor
- Filing of all notification requirements
- Obtaining date of death values and appraisals of all of the decedent’s property
- Preparing and filing all documents required by the probate court in a timely manner
- Collecting life insurance proceeds
- Rolling over and making appropriate elections with regard to retirement plans, including IRAs and 401(k)s
- Advising on the payment of the decedent’s final bills and outstanding debts
- Keeping track of the estate checking account
- Addressing estate, income and inheritance tax issues
- Assisting with the sale of estate property
- Retitling the decedent’s real estate into the names of the estate beneficiaries if it is not being sold
- Distributing what’s left of the decedent’s assets after the payment of bills and taxes to the beneficiaries
- Payment of remaining debts and disputing creditor claims as necessary
- Distribution of assets and inheritances according to state law and estate planning documents
- Closing the deceased’s estate
If you need a skilled lawyer to help you probate an estate we can help. The Law Office of Rodney Davis, LLC provides a full range of legal services to help you resolve your probate or estate matter, whether you need comprehensive representation or you simply want feedback on your documents. Contact our office today to set up an initial consultation on your probate concerns.